Monday, September 8, 2014

Artist Profile: Karen M Berisford

Karen M Berisford has been involved with the Paws For Charity Project for many years. To see more of her work, please visit her website (www.karenmberisford.co.uk). You can also find her on Facebook here.
Karen M Berisford and Survivor   (www.karenmberisford.co.uk)
Where do you live? What made you want to contribute to help raise funds for an animal shelter in Nova Scotia?
I have just moved up to live on the coast at Newbiggin by the Sea in Northumberland but am originally from Chesterfield in Derbyshire (UK) very close to the Peak District.  Being part of the Paws For Charity Art book is a great honour as I know it is helping to raise funds for the SHAID shelter and any animal shelter in every corner of the world works so hard to get much needed donations, how could I not wish to help, even though I only play a very small part in it. Every animal deserves a loving home. 

Do you have a certain "style" in mind when you create your images?
I just love creating realism in my work, after over 30 years of being an Artist, you continue to improve, I do not think you ever stop really. I need challenges in my work to feel a true passion for what I do. As I do a lot of Pet portraits, many who have sadly passed over the Rainbow bridge - to me, it is important that I capture their 'spirit' and that 'look'. I really work from the heart when I am producing something very special for someone - I will spend time simply looking at a subject or a scene, thinking about what that subject means or meant to the Commissionee and deciding what I could add to make it just that little bit special for them.  I do not know if 'from the heart' is a 'style' but I'd like to think so! 

What are some things, people, or places that inspire you?
Nature inspires me - birds singing, dogs playing, cats snoozing, the wind blowing through a horse's mane, watching and listening to the sea - simply anything in Mother Nature continues to inspire no matter how many times I see it, I'm home in Nature. I would also say that other Artist's definately inspire and encourage me to want to do more Art - I love looking at different styles of Art, different creative types, bright colours and reading how passionate others are about what they do too, Art is all I ever wanted to do in life - I feel very lucky. 
Karen's artwork and involvement with the Paws For Charity Project are featured in this month's Coloured Pencil Magazine.
 
I want to thank Karen for being involved with the Paws For Charity Project year after year...her generosity is much appreciated!
All proceeds from the sale of these books are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal Shelter in Nova Scotia.
Click on this link to preview this year's book: http://www.blurb.com/books/5210564-2014-paws-for-charity

E-books are also available...you can preview e-books here: http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/468601-2014-paws-for-charity

No comments: