Monday, August 18, 2014

Artist Profile: Derek Johnston

Derek Johnston is a personal friend of mine...a talented photographer and generous contributor to this project year after year.
Derek Johnston with Scooter
Where do you live? What made you want to contribute to help raise funds for this project?
We are still living in East Chester, Nova Scotia. We have a special affinity for SHAID since that is where we found our first wonderful dog.  Because of that relationship with SHAID, when the occasion arose, I jumped at the opportunity to do my bit as a thank you.

Tell us about one of your favorite photo shoots.
One of my favourite photo shoots happened accidently. I noticed a raccoon emerging from a window of a rather dilapidated house near our cottage. I showed this photo to the owner/ proprietor of the Raven Art Gallery in Tatamagouche. She said that inspired her to take up painting again and led to an agreement whereby I was able to show and sell a number of my  images from her gallery.

What are some things, people, or places that inspire you?
Most of my inspiration for photography comes from my association with the Bridgewater Photo Club. Because of the structure of the program, I try to enter all the contests and so I am constantly on the lookout for subjects that are applicable.

Tell us about a current project you are working on?
Of all subjects, nature in the specific and broadest sense is my favourite photographic subject. Currently I am particularly interested in discovering and photographing waterfalls.  

Do you have a certain "style" in mind when you create your images?
When asked if I have a certain style, I unabashedly “borrow” from photographers whom I admire and I also find inspiring.

Thanks Derek...it's great to have you involved in the 2014 Paws For Charity Project!

All proceeds from the sale of these books are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal Shelter in Nova Scotia.
Click on this link to preview this year's book: http://www.blurb.com/books/5210564-2014-paws-for-charity

E-books are also available...you can preview e-books here: http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/468601-2014-paws-for-charity



No comments: