Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Artist Profile: Kat DeLap

It's my pleasure to introduce you to Kat DeLap, who joined our project this year. You can view Kat's facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/KatPaintsPets
Kat DeLap (KatPaintsPets)
What are some things, people, or places that inspire you?  
My inspiration mostly stems from two sources; visual and heartfelt. Visual inspiration for me comes from photographs (mine and others'), being out among nature, networking and sharing with other artists, working with rescue dogs, a long drive, etc.  Heartfelt inspiration is harder to explain; it is more of a "you know it when it happens" sort of feeling. This is usually prompted from an emotional or soulful response to something not necessarily visual; music is a good example of this.  
Do you have a certain "style" in mind when you create your images?     

My pet portraits are all different in style and I vary the medium used on each. Some portraits may work best with minimal details and others are given fine details. My other works, non pet/animal, happen similarly wherein I let the references or my sketches tell me how to proceed.  

Do you ever find yourself in a creative dry spell? What do you do to get yourself inspired?   
No, never. I jump around in mediums and in different styles or I would get bored and I think this keeps me from getting into dry spells. My problem is making time to be creative. I'm really bad about letting other things monopolize my time and energy when I should be working on my art. Art is one of the things that makes me feel happiest and feeds my soul so I want to get better at carving out time for it.  Ideally, I'd like to work at my art full time.

Tell us about a current project you are working on?    

I'm currently working on a commissioned memorial portrait for a local Vet who's beloved pet dog passed away. Also, I've working on series of acrylics:  Each piece is of statuary that I've in one way or another altered visually in my painting to give them each a strong sense of emotion or soul. I have 7 of a planned 10 in the series completed or close to completion. They range in size from 16"x20" to 36"x48".

Tell us about a future project you have in mind? 

I'm collecting tesserae for a large mosaic piece made from either found objects or wine corks; the final subject of which is yet to be determined.

Thanks for joining our project Kat!

All proceeds from the sale of these books are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal Shelter in Nova Scotia.
Click on this link to preview this year's book: http://www.blurb.com/books/5210564-2014-paws-for-charity

E-books are also available...you can preview e-books here: http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/468601-2014-paws-for-charity

No comments: