Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Artist Profile: Karen Weiler

I got a chance to meet Karen Weiler (www.poshpetsphoto.com) in December 2013, when she helped create a feature film about Paws For Charity with Blurb Books in Toronto. (view the video here). You can get in touch with Karen several ways...they are listed at the end of this post.
Karen Weiler    www.poshpetsphoto.com

Where do you live? What made you want to contribute to help raise funds for an animal shelter in Nova Scotia?
I currently live in Toronto, Canada with my husband and our 2 kitties who came from the shelter that I volunteer with (the cats, not the husband!). I first heard about Paws for Charity through social media and when I found out that it was based in Canada, I jumped at the chance. 
Tell us about one of your favorite photo shoots/painting commissions?
Every pet and his/her family has a story and I love to hear them.  I am often amazed at how often an animal comes into our lives to fill a need.  I had the absolute pleasure to photograph a young woman and her 'puppy'.  They had found each other when the young woman was diagnosed with cancer. That puppy saw her through rounds of treatment and was her rock as she faced the fight of her life.  During our session, we celebrated the bond she and her dog share.  Yes, a dog.  For, he was no longer a puppy and she was in remission! 
What is your favorite photo/art piece and why?
I have always been drawn towards photography. I remember looking at Life images and loving the black and white documentary photography and trying to understand how the photographers knew to take the picture at that exact moment.  Annie Liebowitz and her ability to capture groups of people without the standard posing fascinates me. These things are not necessarily pet photography centric, but I use them in approach to pet photography.
What are some things, people, or places that inspire you?
There is something about Europe. The richness of the history, the architecture and the landscape. It is my dream to photograph a dog and cat series there one day...
Do you have a certain "style" in mind when you create your images?
My goal with any commission is to create timeless wall art.  So, I pay a lot of attention to the locations where I photograph.  My subjects need not be looking at the camera in every image...in fact, I absolutely adore the pensive, looking off into the distance look an animal will give you.
You can find out more about Karen at these links:
All proceeds from the sale of these books are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal Shelter in Nova Scotia.
Click on this link to preview this year's book: http://www.blurb.com/books/5210564-2014-paws-for-charity

E-books are also available...you can preview e-books here: http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/468601-2014-paws-for-charity

No comments: