Thursday, July 31, 2014

Artist Profile: Elaine Tweedy

Elaine Tweedy is a newcomer to the Paws For Charity Project this year, and I'm so glad she donated the use of her photographs! Her website is www.igottheshotphotography.com.  Her facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/IGotTheShot.
Lilah with Elaine Tweedy (igottheshotphotography.com)

Where do you live? What made you want to contribute to help raise funds for an animal shelter in Nova Scotia?
I live in Factoryville, Pennsylvania.  Factoryville is about 23 miles Northwest of Scranton, PA, just to give a better perspective, and is considered part of Northeastern Pennsylvania, home of the Pocono and Endless Mountains.  The Nova Scotia shelter project interested me for many reasons.  I have done photos for our local animal shelter as part of being a member of HeARTs Speak, an international non-profit and consortium of artists dedicated to helping homeless animals.  I love shelters that are proactive and do all that they can to not only get the word out about animals in need, but continually seek strong fiscal viability. I am so proud to be included the Paws for Charity project.

What is your favorite photo/art piece and why?
I have a large, framed black and white of a bygone day estate on the coast of California.  There is a woman dressed in black riding a white horse on the beach, a team of horses drawing a carriage, and a serene feeling that transcends the photo itself.  It is my favorite piece.  It is the piece that makes me want others to get that same "feeling" when they look at my photos. 

What are some things, people, or places that inspire you?
I am completely inspired by the sea or bodies of water in general, and the facial expressions of dogs.  I am inspired by those who rescue animals daily, even when it seems impossible.  I am inspired by people who knock your socks off with their creativity and don't do things like everyone else.  I am very independent, and I don't take direction well, so I am always off doing my own thing and respect those who have a need for strong independence.

Do you ever find yourself in a creative dry spell? What do you do to get yourself inspired?
While I don't believe my mind ever stops working, and there are loads of ideas mulling around inside of it for projects, a key element--TIME--is elusive.  Sometimes I get frustrated by not being able to move quickly enough into an idea, but I never put my camera down.  I just keep snapping.  I snap 40-50 photos a day of just my world when I am not engaged to snap someone else's world.  We have a small horse farm and eight rescue dogs, plus we grow an extensive organic garden, so the summer is not only a great time for photos, it's a busy time and can take me away from other projects.  My animals and the beauty around me in the woods where I live keeps me inspired.
 
Tell us about a current project you are working on?
I am currently working on The Route 6 Project, a scenic documentary of the small towns found along Route 6 in Pennsylvania.  The little burgs are rich in history and unique architecture.  You can find the series on my blog as part of my website:  www.igottheshotphotography.com.

Thanks Elaine...it's great to learn more about you!

All proceeds from the sale of these books are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal Shelter in Nova Scotia.
Click on this link to preview this year's book: http://www.blurb.com/books/5210564-2014-paws-for-charity

E-books are also available...you can preview e-books here: http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/468601-2014-paws-for-charity

No comments: