Monday, April 7, 2014

Back Cover - 2014 Paws For Charity Art Book

This is the fifth year for the Paws For Charity Art Book Project, and do you know something? I have never featured a piece of art on the covers. I have always chosen photographs. Don't get me wrong, there is always lots of wonderful art to choose from. But somehow....before this year...the photographs seems more appropriate.

Our back cover image was provided by Susan Garriques (susangarriques.com), an artist in North Carolina. I think it's spectacular....it shows such love and devotion, I love it! I hope you agree with me.
Blitz (For The Love Of A Boy) © Susan Garriques - susangarriques.com
Here are a few words about the painting from the artist:

"This painting is one of those that seems to have a life of its own somehow. It was meant to be and determined to be created. To begin with, nearly all my dog paintings are more of a formal portrait style. Straight on head shots. During a photo shoot for one of that style of portraits, a young boy named Isaiah pulled on my sleeve and asked me to come take photos of the “one out back”. I followed him to the back of the house and he introduced me to Blitz.  I took a few photos and didn’t think too much more about it. But… when I downloaded the day’s photo shoot to my computer, the photos I took of Blitz grabbed my attention right away.  Even though it was December, and a crazy busy time for me, I just had to create a painting of Blitz.  The love and affection that Blitz has for Isaiah shines through in this painting.

After the painting was finished, I discovered that Blitz has a “story”. About 6 years ago he was living the life of a dog used in dog fights. He was just 9 months old, skin and bones, and chained to a fence. His ears were shredded from the fighting. Isaiah’s mom rescued Blitz from that situation and he has been a part of their family ever since." - Susan (susangarriques.com)

1 comment:

Ducky said...

So happy that "Blitz" came across your path Susan and that he found his forever home with such a lovely family.